Mavericks Sweep NWU, 7-0
OMAHA, Neb. - The Omaha men's tennis team cruised in its 2014 season opener, topping Nebraska Wesleyan, 7-0, Friday night at Hanscom Brandeis Tennis Center.
The Mavericks have now swept Nebraska Wesleyan two years in a row, dropping the Prairie Wolves to 0-1 on the season. UNO will now have more than a week off before opening Summit League conference play against conference newcomer Denver on Sunday, Feb. 9 at the Hanscom Brandeis Tennis Center at 10 a.m.
The Mavs won all three doubles matches and all six singles matches. Eric McKnight and Adam Dockery beat Lucas Asnis and Guilherme Plentz at No. 1 doubles, 8-2. Nathan Greteman and Erik Anderson then clinched the point for the Mavs by winning their No. 2 doubles match 8-3 over Rene Torti and Trevor Milburn. In the last doubles match, James McManus and Lukas Vanzura squeaked past Zach Hicks and Seth Shimerda, 9-8 (11-8).
In singles play, McKnight finished off Asnis at No. 1, 6-4, 7-6 (6-3). Dockery was victorious over Plentz, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 2 spot, and McManus picked up a 6-1, 6-3 win over Hicks at No. 3. Anderson outlasted Rene Torti in his No. 4 match, 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (15-13) while Greteman picked up a 7-6 (6-3), 6-5 win over Milburn. Finally, freshman Michael Knudsen picked up a 6-1, 6-4 win over Seth Shimerda at No. 6.
1. Eric McKnight (UNO) def. Lucas Asnis (NWU) 6-4, 7-6 (6-3)
2. Adam Dockery (UNO) def. Guilherme Plentz (NWU) 6-2, 6-2
3. James McManus (UNO) def. Zack Hicks (NWU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Erik Anderson (UNO) def. Rene Torti (NWU) 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (15-13)
5. Nathan Greteman (UNO) def. Trevor Milburn (NWU) 7-6 (6-3), 6-5
6. Michael Knudsen (UNO) def. Seth Shimerda (NWU) 6-1, 6-4